Therapy through play – that’s what Therapeutic Recreation is all about!
Therapeutic recreation offers purposeful interventions to enable clients to achieve quality of life and optimal health through meaningful participation in recreation and leisure. Recreation therapists support clients in having full access to and the freedom to choose recreation and leisure opportunities.
- Over 10,000 hours of group and individual interventions were offered in 2018/2019 with 657 clients participating. Programs included taekwondo, let’s get active, active start, swim lessons, camps, lego and a variety of play-based group interventions.
- An Introduction to Parasport program was offered in partnership with the Abilities Centre thanks to a grant from Canadian Tire Jumpstart. Grandview entered a sitting volleyball team in the Ontario Parasport Games.
- Let’s Get Active program for children 8-18 yrs. with developmental disabilities including autism was offered in partnership with the City of Oshawa and Town of Ajax thanks to a grant from the Government of Ontario Sport and Recreation Communities Fund;
- A Boccia Bratz program was offered in partnership with Cerebral Palsy Sport Ontario;
- Therapeutic Recreation partnered with UOIT, the Town of Ajax, City of Oshawa, Ontario Parasailing and the Abilities Centre to offer community based programs.